So...I'm a little behind in my writing again.  Surprise, surprise.  

Father's Day at our house is fairly low key by my own request.  I'm not one to request a day on the couch watching sports (unless the Tour de France is on).  I don't need to go out to lunch with everyone else in the city.  I do want to hang with the fam' and do whatever comes along.  The kids went in together and got me the new Elvis Costello CD "Secret, Profane and Sugarcane".  Great stuff, but not what this post is about. 

No seriously...Great CD...you need to check it out.

So, if this isn't about music, what is this about?  Hats, parenting and attitude. That's what this is about.

Included in a card from my lovely daughter, Jess, was a "Dear Dad" letter.  She has this uncanny talent for touching my heart and inducing tears.  The fathers in the room will understand.  In amongst the mush she reminded me of one of the encouragements I've passed along in her search for her identity.  "It's not the hat that looks good on the person, it's about the person looking good in the hat." 

Sounds cryptic, I know.  Oddly enough, I shared it about a straw cowboy hat she had to have but refused to wear in public.  She didn't feel confident enough to wear it out.  She said something  about it not looking good on her.  Harumph.  Thus the comment, "It's not the hat that looks good on the person, it's about the person looking good in the hat." 

Yeah, I know.  Doesn't sound like much. It really had nothing to do with the hat.  

It had to do with having an attitude of confidence.  An attitude of not necessarily caring what anyone else thinks of you.  It's about wearing a loud shirt, or goofy shoes or that hat that not everyone could pull off.  It's about being yourself and not giving in to social convention and being anything less than who God created.

So...what's your hat?


...and when are you going to put it on?

 




1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the new Elvis Costello cd. Although it took a couple listens to get used to the country vibe.

 
Copyright 2009 scribbles
BloggerTheme by BloggerThemes | Design by 9thsphere